A career at New World Interactive is about being part of a team working on some of the most creative FPS shooters in the world. You would be welcomed to a friendly, inclusive environment where you can learn, and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
NWI is looking for a talented Lead Character Artist that will guide the development of characters and creatures. Mentoring, supporting, and managing the great and skilled character art team, who will have a passion and willingness to be part of our Character design process. This is a full-time permanent position within the Character Team where you can focus on what you love. We're a remote-first studio hiring within Canada.
- Working together with the Creative Director and other team leads to create appealing characters, understanding the technical limitations of the engine.
- Create and establish workflows that better fits the department needs.
- Manage your team's timelines, progress, and deadlines sharply.
- Mentor and nurture the character art team to make it grow and succeed in this competitive industry.
- Work closely with the Technical Art department to ensure the highest quality possible.
- Review the in-house and outsource character art work to ensure that they meet the artistic and technical standards established for our games.
- Attend and organize meetings to plan and track current and future tasks.
- Research and develop better practices to be updated with the latest technologies.
- At least 3 years of experience creating Characters for video games.
- At least 2 games shipped as a Character Artist
- Strong knowledge of Human and Animal Anatomy with great attention to detail of form, shape, and silhouette.
- Proficiency in UE4, be able to create believable materials for skin, cloth, eyes, hair, etc.
- Strong understanding of Normal Map synchronization and baking.
- Comfortable with a broad range of styles, techniques, and workflows.
- Great eye for colour and texture.
- Ability to understand and learn technical and creative concepts.
- Great understanding of topological flow for better deformation.
- Comfortable understanding and following technical limitations.
- Self-motivated to learn new technologies and stay up to date with game technologies.
- Great organization and management skills to mentor and motivate an amazing team.
- Substance Painter
- Marmoset Toolbag
- Unreal Engine 4
- Traditional art skills like drawing, painting, and sculpting are a plus
Why New World Interactive?
At New World, we believe in our team’s happiness. We respect the well-being of our teammates and believe healthy, happy, and passionate employees are the result of a best-in-class work environment.
We believe in inclusivity. We create an environment of safety where everyone feels like they belong. We value every team member for the skills they bring, regardless of their gender, demographics or community. We ensure everyone has the same opportunities for advancement.
We believe in teamwork. We appreciate the value that is created by every team member working together with trust, collaboration, responsibility, and accountability. We celebrate success.
We believe in creativity. We enjoy solving problems and trying new things. We rely on unique and varied perspectives to continuously improve. We promote autonomy within the team.
We believe in putting players first. We empathize with our players and keep the user experience and user impact at the forefront of our decision-making.
- Tenure based vacation policy with a yearly week-long studio closure at the end of December
- Unlimited PTO and sick days
- Extended Health Benefits (Drug, Vision, Dental, Specialists)
- Continuing Education and Personal Development Benefits
- Cost-of-living raises
- Bonus program
New World is an equal opportunity employer. All employment opportunities are provided without regard to race, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by the Employment Equity Act in Canada.