New World Interactive is looking for a Technical Environment Artist to join our team! The Technical Artist acts as a bridge between the artists and programmers, ensuring the art content and features are easily integrated into the game while respecting the artistic vision and technical constraints. Your role is to support the content production art teams in achieving top-quality results within the project context. You will work closely with the Lead Environment Artist, Technical Director, and the programming team to implement technical art features and new technologies in the project.
What a Technical Environment Artist will do:
- Identify and solve technical problems across the development pipeline
- Create custom tools to support the art pipeline while maintaining high quality and technical performance standards
- Integrate optimizations and automatizations while monitoring the performance of the game
- Offer technical support to the art team in day-by-day production issues
- Build well documented and maintainable material node graphs and code
- Create and maintain technical documentation
- Support artists with workflow improvements and issues
- Keep up to date with new tools and best practices in the industry
- Minimum 5 years experience in digital art content creation pipeline, ideally in the video game industry with at least 1+ shipped AA titles or higher
- Understand high and low poly modeling, unwrapping, baking, texturing, and level art
- Experience in Unreal engine
- Understanding of automated world-building techniques
- Ability to perform in-depth profiling of game performance in levels
- Understanding the industry standards when it comes to making high-performance, beautiful environments
- Experience with scripting (Python) and tool development
- Understanding of optimization and how to best balance triangle/texture/shader/draw call budgets
- Experience using the following software: Houdini, Substance Suite, Maya and/or Blender
- Experience or knowledge in C++
- Working knowledge of level design or an environment art background
- Console development experience
- History of communication and training for other artists
Why New World Interactive?
At New World, we believe in our team’s happiness. We respect the well-being of our teammates and believe healthy, happy, and passionate employees are the result of a best-in-class work environment.
We believe in inclusivity. We create an environment of safety where everyone feels like they belong. We value every team member for the skills they bring, regardless of their gender, demographics, or community. We ensure everyone has the same opportunities for advancement.
We believe in teamwork. We appreciate the value that is created by every team member working together with trust, collaboration, responsibility, and accountability. We celebrate success.
We believe in creativity. We enjoy solving problems and trying new things. We rely on unique and varied perspectives to continuously improve. We promote autonomy within the team.
We believe in putting players first. We empathize with our players and keep the user experience and user impact at the forefront of our decision-making.
- Vacation policy and a week-long studio closure at the end of December
- Unlimited single-day PTO and sick days
- Extended Health Benefits (Drug, Vision, Dental, Specialists)
- Continuing Education and Personal Development Benefits
- Cost-of-living raises
New World is an equal opportunity employer. All employment opportunities are provided without regard to race, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by the Employment Equity Act in Canada.