Are you a killer 3D artist who specializes in characters? Are you highly experienced in 3D development and pipelines? If so, New World Interactive might be the place for you! We are looking for a Character Artist to help create high-quality and detailed character designs. You would be welcomed to a friendly, inclusive environment where you can learn and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
The ideal candidate will have a passion and willingness to be part of our Character design process. This is a full-time, permanent position within the Character Team where you can focus on what you love.
What a Character Artist will do:
- Work together with the Lead Character Artist and Creative Director to create appealing characters
- Actively participate in milestone planning and reviews
- Work with Technical Artists to create and improve tools and workflows
- Identify and set up best practices, workflows, and pipelines for Character Creation
- Work with Technical Art and other artists to develop the character creation and integration pipeline
If you’re interested, you’ll need these skills or experiences:
- 3+ years of experience with a high-end game engine, including high-resolution 3d modeling, surfacing, optimization, and game integration.
- Proficiency, as demonstrated in your portfolio in game development, as an artist specializing in character modeling using Blender, Marmoset Toolbag, Substance Painter, and Zbrush.
- Portfolio demonstrating character art skills.
- Strong knowledge of human and animal anatomy with great attention to detail of form, shape, and silhouette
- Proficiency in UE4, with an ability to create believable materials for skin, cloth, eyes, and hair
- Strong understanding of Normal Map synchronization and baking
- Comfortable with a broad range of styles, techniques, and workflows
- Great eye for color and texture
- Ability to understand and learn technical and creative concepts
- Great understanding of topological flow for better deformation
- Understand and follow technical limitations
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision
- Organic and hard surface modelling/sculpting skills are a must
- Experience with hair and fur cards for optimal application
- A web portfolio that demonstrates a range of high-quality, 3D art
- Examples of modeled, textured and lit characters
- Samples from previous industry work
Additional skills or experiences that will move you up in the stack-ranking for considerations are:
- Traditional art skills such as drawing, painting, and sculpting are a plus
- An interest or love of military aesthetics
- 1+ shipped AAA game titles or equivalent work e.g. live product development
New World Interactive is the newest game developer in Calgary, poised to grow into Canada's newest video gaming hub. We're building our team and seeking an Art Outsourcing Coordinator to assist our art team.
New World Interactive has built a team of game developers that excel in cross-disciplinary collaboration and believe that trust is at the heart of our work together. We believe collaboration is key to a successful game and have built an environment that will allow creativity and freedom to do your best work. You would be welcomed to a friendly, inclusive environment where you can learn, and team up with some of the most talented people in the industry.
- Supplemental benefits for employees and their families
- Vision, Dental, Pharmaceutical, and more
- Life insurance
- Short-term disability insurance
- Flexible work location opportunities (Home & Studio)
- Educational allowance
- Personal development allowance
- Paid time off
- Annual Bonus Opportunities